A Multi-Day Workshop Series
Just ASK would be pleased to offer our multi-day Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners® series on-site in your district. It can be scheduled on sequential days as a summer institute or in an ongoing format throughout the school year. The latter format provides participants the opportunity to return to their worksites between sessions and conduct action research implementing what they learned through the insightful presentations and collegial collaboration embedded in the workshop series.
This series, based on Paula Rutherford’s book, Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners, has received rave reviews from educators in California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
- What do schools and classrooms look like when they are organized around the commitment to the achievement of high standards by all students?
- What are the ways we can recognize, respect, and respond to differences in learners?
- How can learning be scaffolded and extended so that all learners are appropriately supported and challenged?
- How do we use data to inform our instructional and formative assessment decisions?
During the workshop series participants*
- Examine how standards-based education, the Common Core State Standards, and differentiation can be used together to promote appropriately high levels of achievement for all students
- Explore the similarities and differences in our learners and gain insight about how they are likely to respond to classroom instruction
- Identify options for meeting the needs of the wide range of students in our classrooms, including gifted students, struggling learners, students with special needs, second language learners, resistant and reluctant learners
- Address some familiar scenarios we all encounter: students who give up, students who do not do homework, students who are disorganized, students who already know what we want them to learn, etc.
- Investigate and experience many of the over 60 strategies for supporting and extending the learning of our students discussed in the text Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners
- Focus on literacy across the curriculum and explore content specific strategies for supporting and extending the learning of our students with an emphasis on vocabulary development
- Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners by Paula Rutherford
- Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners® Participant Manual