This kit, named by District Administration as one of the Readers’ Choice Top 100 Products, provides resources that can greatly enhance the likelihood that your new teachers will experience success. The kit is designed to be used with the text Why Didn’t I Learn This in College? The materials are appropriate for novice teachers, alternative certification teachers, and experienced teachers new to the district. The New Teacher Professional Development Facilitator’s Handbook and handout masters are included in hard copy and on CD-ROM, coupled with a collection of seven DVDs, a CD-ROM of visual tools to use in preparing PowerPoint presentations, and six sets of What Do You Do When… Cards that address the challenges and concerns often faced by new teachers. These tools provide you with sufficient resources to put into place a three-year induction program. Special pricing on books is available for kit purchasers through Just ASK.
The kit is designed to be used with the text Why Didn’t I Learn This in College? The focus questions are:
- What is a learning-centered environment and how do I create such an environment?
- How do I translate “beginning with the end in mind” into planning and pacing for the year, the unit, and the lesson?
- What are systems, procedures, and routines for organizing my professional and instructional materials, the learners, and the classroom learning environment?
The kit includes:
- New Teacher Professional Development Facilitator’s Handbook in hard copy and on CD-ROM. Download a list of the 50 learning experiences and a few examples of the teaching notes included for each learning experience.
- New Teacher Professional Development Participant’s Manual in hard copy and on CD-ROM.
- A copy of Why Didn’t I Learn This in College?
- A copy of Strategies in Action: A Collection of Classroom Applications
- A copy of The 21st Century Mentor’s Handbook
- A copy of Instruction for All Students
- A selection of DVDs including classroom exemplars of best practice
- Visual Tools CD-ROM includes PowerPoint slides, and visuals in PDF/Jpeg format. The visuals can be used to create PowerPoint or Keynote presentations, posters, and color handouts.
- Why Didn’t I Learn This in College? Scavenger Hunt Cards
These cards can be used to organize a scavenger hunt through the active learning strategies found in Why Didn’t I Learn This in College? or they can be used in
the multiple sort card exercises described in the Why Didn’t I Learn This in College? Facilitator’s Handbook.
- What Do You Do When… Cards
These cards describe fifty scenarios that pose challenges and concerns for new teachers. They can be used by new teacher-mentor pairs, ggroups of new teachers, school-based teams, or for role plays in multiple settings. They can be prioritized, categorized, or used as conversation starters.