Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century with Paula Rutherford
July 24th, July 25th, and November 14th, 2014
Paula Rutherford, president of Just ASK and author of Why Didn’t I Learn This in College?, is returning to work with new teachers as they begin their careers with the Department of Catholic Schools. All participants will receive a copy of Paula’s best-selling book Why Didn’t I Learn This in College? and a Why Didn’t I Learn This in College? Participant’s Manual.
Teachers participating in these highly interactive TIP sessions will leave with
- A plan for the first week of school
- A comprehensive list of procedures and routines to put in place so that their classrooms are organized for learning
- An expanded repertoire of active learning strategies they can use to help students access prior knowledge, process their learning, make personal connections, set purpose for reaching, and build vocabulary
- Multiple ways to check for understanding and to gather and use formative assessment data
- An array of options for scaffolding instruction for students lacking in background knowledge, second language learners, and students with other learning challenges
- Strategies for creating a learning-centered environment that is welcoming, safe, non-threatening, yet appropriately challenging.
- What is a learning-centered environment and what do I do to create such an environment?
- How do I translate “beginning with the end in mind” into planning and pacing for the year, the unit, and the lesson?
- What are systems, procedures, and routines for organizing my professional and instructional materials, the learners, and the classroom learning environment?
Workshop Dates, Location, and Time
- Thursday, July 24th, Friday, July 25th, and Friday, November 14th, 2014
- St. Thomas the Apostle School, 2632 W. 15th Street, Los Angeles, California 90006
- 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
Contact Laura-Pavlock-Albright at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-940-5434 for more information.