Share this newsletter on
Messages for Mentors by New Teachers
This issue of Mentoring in the 21st Century® is written by new teachers as they finish their first year of teaching. It is an inspiring collection of comments culled from hundreds collected from these novice teachers and is designed to celebrate all that you do to support these new teachers.
In addition to the text list of comments below you can view a video featuring those comments. We invite you to use this video in your induction and mentoring work.
Thanks for all you do!
Through the Voices of New Teachers
- Observe us often.
- Give us feedback on even the smallest things.
- Check our lesson plans for practical applications.
- Make us pay attention to details.
- Get together with us socially early in the year.
- Be available and be willing to share resources and materials with us.
- Try to keep us ahead of the curve.
- Help us make a year-long calendar in August.
- Meet with us as much as possible.
- Be honest about the crazy quirks of the department so we know you see them too.
- Don’t wait for us to come to you. Be proactive!
- Make time to talk to us once a week, even if it’s just to chat.
- We cannot grow if you don’t offer suggestions for improvement.
- We love the support, ideas, flexibility, and humor. You keep it real!
- Leave a note that says, “I’ve noticed…” regarding positive actions in the classroom.
- Share the remarkable ideas and expertise you have.
- Support teachers forever, not just one year.
- We couldn’t do it without you.
- You give endless support in all areas, academically and emotionally.
- You make a difference in our lives!
Permission is granted for reprinting and distribution of this newsletter for non-commercial use only. Please include the following citation on all copies:
Rutherford, Paula. “ Messages for Mentors by New Teachers.” Mentoring in the 21st Century® December 2006. Reproduced with permission of Just ASK Publications & Professional Development (Just ASK). © 2006 Just ASK. All rights reserved. Available at www.justaskpublications.com.